After I had the pins soldered to the controller, I placed the microcontroller on the same side as the audio jack and reset switch. The microcontroller pins should be placed in the section with a rectangle around it. I made sure the microcontroller was inserted all the way and afterwards I added solder around the pins on the bottom of the board.
Front side components installed
Adding the switches
Now that the hard part was out of the way, it was time to add the switches. I inserted one switch in the 4 corners of the top plate in order to secure the position of the plate, and then I filled the rest of the board. Afterwards, I added the key caps and screwed the case onto the PCB.
Adding the Firmware
Now that I had everything installed on the PCB, it was time to add the firmware to the keyboard. I used the QMK
tool on Linux to install the key map. I did this for both sides separately, using the command
doas make lily58:custom:avrdude
directory. Once it said
Detecting USB port, reset your controller now ...
I clicked on the reset switch on the board to write the key map. I used a custom key map because I use the Colemak keyboard layout and I also moved some things around. You can do this by going into the
directory and changing the
file. I followed this guide
to figure out what key codes worked, and then I just used the original command to write to the board. However, if you don't plan to add any special modifications to the key map, you can just use
doas make lily58:default:avrdude
to install the default QWERTY key map and go from there.
After the firmware has been written, you can connect the two PCBs together and connect the micro USB cable to the computer. Everything should've worked, but I had a few issues. A few keys didn't respond, and the issues were that I soldered the sockets wrong, so I had to either add more solder to the joint, or I had to replace the socket because I had damaged it. For one key, I soldered the diode in the wrong direction so I had to desolder it, turn it around, and resolder it for it to work. Building the keyboard took me around 4 hours to build.